What I love about Ayurveda is it’s sensibility towards gentle, seasonal detoxification to support our health and well-being.
And even during the holidays, I look to it’s wisdom for countering the common indulgences inherent in the season.
In years gone by I was not as conscious about my food choices during the holidays. I mostly went over-board in my choices with a “what’s the use” mentality and mindset.
These days, despite an emotional roller-coaster of a year, I am mindful of my choices each day, with an effort to support balance and well-being. I still enjoy my grandmother’s recipe for Mexican Wedding Cake cookies…
But I counter my indulgences throughout the holidays with foods and drinks that promote good digestion and immunity. This smoothie is one of the ways I promote good digestion and reduce the inflammatory effects of sugar in the digestive tract.
Yes it’s a healthy smoothie….but it just happens to taste GREAT!
A few reasons why I reach for Cardamom?
- Cardamom has been used for thousands of years to help with digestion.
- Cardamom is rich in compounds that may fight inflammation.
- When taken in powder form, cardamom may lower blood sugar.
- Cardamom extract may decrease elevated liver enzymes, triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
- A study in 80 overweight and obese prediabetic women found a link between cardamom and slightly reduced waist circumference.
8 ounces almond milk or water
2 ripe pears
2 handfuls organic spinach
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, (to taste)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or raw cashews)
2 teaspoons Amazing Grass- Adaptogens Powder
1 teaspoon Maca powder
Few drops of Stevia to taste
Handful of ice
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. You can adjust ingredients to your desired taste and consistency. ENJOY!